Spicy Cilantro and Hempnut's Sauce
Have you ever eaten hemp nuts? I recently purchased a small bag of whole hemp nuts and I’m fast becoming a fan. They have a very nicely mild and nutty flavour that works well in so many foods.I think it would also taste wonderful on grilled chicken, pork or fish as well as a marinade.
Recipe type: Sauce, Condiment, Marinade
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, use everything but the roots
- 2 tbsp whole hulled hempnut's
- 2 small green onion, roots trimmed off and cut into 4 parts
- 1 green chile pepper (serrano or jalapeño), stem removed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp sea salt, adjust to taste
- 2 tbsp Hempnutsoil
- 1-2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp water
- In a mortar and pestle or blender crush/pulse the hemp nuts. Place all of the ingredients in the blender and blend into a smooth sauce. If desired make it more watery by adding more lime juice or water or oil. Taste and adjust salt if desired. Place in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes before using. This will keep for a few days in the refrigerator, make sure it is covered.
How to use: Spread over grilled steak, pork, chicken or fish. Alternatively the sauce may also be used as a marinade for meats or vegetables.